Searching...
Saturday 24 November 2012

I'm Above The Law: House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic


The Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO) yesterday arrested a member of the House of Representative, Honourble Samson Okwu, for driving against the traffic.
Okwu, who represents Uju/Obi federal constituency of Benue state, said he was compelled to beat the traffic to enable him keep an appointment.
He further defended his action by challenging the officer on duty to watch-out for public officers who have exception while using the road as according to him, the rules should be bent for their sake.
His words: "That is why I am telling you that in a government there are people that are allowed to bend some of the laws. There are rules, I explained to the gentleman, but he wanted to use his position to intimidate me but my car is carrying a government number that is why they gave me that number. So if he is using his uniform as a government personnel, I am using my number.”

He further argued that the VIO officials would not dare stop a vehicle with sirens driving against traffic as he did to the lawmaker, describing their action as act of insubordination.
“You know in law there is an exception that is why you see ministers use siren because you have exigencies. I am going to attend a function with the minister of finance this morning. I was there for over one hour plus. You do expect me to remain there because I do not have siren. That does not mean that I shouldn’t go but I was there, I do not know the exercise that was going on here keeping cars here, I think it is indiscipline,” Okwu stated.
He challenged the enforcement team to ensure that as they carry out their duty, they should make sure that the traffic flows faster so the people who are going to work would be early to their respective offices.
The mobile court recorded over 28 convictions with various penalty meted out to the drivers while some were warned and asked to go and sin no more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments

 
Back to top!