Searching...
Friday, 22 June 2012

Anders Behring Breivik blames 'Sex and the City'


The trial of mass killer Anders Behring Breivik ended on Friday - exactly 11 months after he massacred 77 people in Norway.The 33-year-old right-wing extremist used the 45 minutes given to him to make final remarks to claim that his attacks were necessary to defend Norway against multiculturalism and a "Muslim invasion."He also demanded acquittal as the court set a date for the verdict for August 24.Breivik told the court in Oslo, "The July 22 attacks were preventive attacks in defence of my ethnic group and I can therefore not acknowledge guilt. I was acting on behalf of my people, my religion and my country. I therefore demand that I be acquitted."During his ideological speech, Breivik among other things blasted US television series "Sex and the City" for encouraging women to not establish families and singers of immigrant origin representing Norway in the Eurovision Song Contest.He said, "History will show whether they judge a man who tried to stop evil," and insisted he "carried out a small barbarism to stop a greater barbarism."In his closing statement, his main defense lawyer Geir Lippestad rejected the prosecution's call for Breivik to be locked up in a psychiatric institution and that he be given the "mildest possible" prison term.Although there is no chance Breivik will be acquitted, the lawyer was also formally obliged to request that he be set free since he has pleaded not guilty.On July 22, 2011, Breivik first set off a car bomb outside government buildings in Oslo, killing eight people, before going to Utoya island, northwest of the capital where he shot and killed another 69 people, mostly teenagers.The victims, the youngest of whom had just celebrated her 14th birthday, had been attending a summer camp hosted by the governing Labor Party's youth organisation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments